Search This Blog

Have you ever been to Santorini?

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Santorini wines

Santorini’s two lauded wines are its crisp, clear dry whites, and the amber-coloured, unfortified dessert wine vinsanto, both produced from the ancient indigenous cultivar assyrtiko. Most vineyards hold tastings and tours, and there are also two fascinating wine museums.
Antoniou winery was designed early this century by a winemaker with his eye on the export market. Built into the cliffs directly above Athinios port, the canava (wine cellar) is a masterpiece of free-form ingenuity: wine was once piped down to waiting boats. Wine is no longer made at this site, but it’s a fascinating place to visit.
The winegrowers’ cooperative, Santo Wines in Megalochori has a showcase selection of regional produce taken from all over Greece.
The atmospheric Volcan Wine Museum, housed in a traditional canava on the way to Kamari, has some interesting displays, including a 17th-century wooden wine press. Admission to the museum includes three tastings.
There’s also the Art Space gallery-winery outside Kamari.

2 comments:

Wes said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, http://CruisePlanners1.blogspot.com. I thought I would return the favor and am also pleased by what I found.

I only had one brief visit to Santorini, but I too loved it. I will have to find this winery the next time I am there.

Wes said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, http://CruisePlanners1.blogspot.com. I thought I would return the favor and am also pleased by what I found.

I have only been to Santorini once, but I really enjoyed it. I will have to find this winery the next time I am there.